Please call our office at least 24 hours prior to the procedure at 248-624-7246 if you need to cancel.
INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW PRIOR TO PROCEDURE: PLEASE READ COMPLETELY
- Take nothing by mouth after midnight, the night before your procedure. No gum, candy, food, liquid, not even water. If your procedure is scheduled in the afternoon, you may have clear liquids until 8:00am.
- Always take your blood pressure medication with a sip of water prior to your procedure. You may take other prescription medications with a small sip of water.
- You may also take other prescription medications with a small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth without swallowing any water the morning of your procedure.
- You MUST have a responsible person to drive you home. Your procedure will be cancelled if you do not have a driver. You will not be able to drive for the remainder of the day.
- You will not be able to return to work, unless you have chosen NOT to have sedation for your procedure.
- If you are taking blood thinners (see list of Aspirin-Containing Products) such as Aspirin (both 81mg or 325mg)/Coumadin/Plavix/Lovenox/Ticlid, etc. A clearance will be obtained from your internist or cardiologist prior to you stopping these medications for your procedure. Do not stop these medications on your own until we contact you that we have received the proper clearance from your internist or cardiologist.
- If you are taking Anti-Inflammatory medications (see Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medication List and other blood thinning medication list), please stop them at 4 days before the procedure. These include: Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Naprosyn, etc. 8. Please review the attached list of medications that contain aspirin or are NSAIDS (Non- Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs).
- To maintain the cleanliness of the injection site, please shower or bathe the night before or the morning of the procedure.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing that can be easily folded for storage.
- Please leave all your valuables and jewelry at home. We are not responsible for any lost or stolen property. Please remove all body piercings. Please remove contact lens before coming to the clinic. You can wear your glasses.
- You will be scheduled in the earliest morning appointments.
- You may take your non peaking BASAL INSULIN such as Lantus, or Detemir (Levemir) Glargine. Do not take your short acting insulins the morning of your procedure (Regular, Humalog, or Novalog).
- Please check your fasting blood sugar at home the morning of your procedure and let the Pre-Op Nurse know these results when you arrive.
- Do not take your oral diabetic medications the morning of your procedure. Please bring these medications with you to take after your procedure with post-procedure snack.
- Please be aware that the steroid used in the injection can cause blood sugars to be elevated for up to 7 days post injection.
- Please monitor your blood sugars closely during this time period and call your internist or endocrinologist with blood sugars over 200. It is a good idea to let these physicians know you are having an injection with a steroid in advance so they are aware and can instruct you ahead of time in what to do if your blood sugar in elevated.
- Please bring your inhalers with you to each procedure.
*IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR MANAGED CARE INSURANCES: ALL PATIENTS WITH A MANAGED CARE INSURANCE: HMO or BCN
(Blue Care Network) PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN AND NOTIFY THEM OF THE APPOINTMENT /PROCEDURE
DATE AND TIME. THEN, REQUEST A REFERRAL FORM FROM THEM FOR THIS APPOINTMENT. PLEASE HAVE THEM FAX THE REFERRAL FORM TO US AT (248)624-2597 SO IT ARRIVES NO LATER THAN THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT/PROCEDURE. WE CANNOT PROCEED WITH A PROCEDURE OR AN APPOINTMENT WITHOUT THE PROPER REFERRAL IF YOU HAVE A MANAGED CARE INSURANCE. ***WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WAIT FOR THIS ON THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT.
Please call our office if you have any questions at 248-624-7246.